Born: August 15, 1931
Achievement: Chairman of DLF Group; Recipient of the 'Delhi
Ratna' Award for his valuable contribution to Delhi
K.P. Singh is the Chairman of DLF Group and can be christened as the
real estate baron of India. DLF has a strong leadership presence in
Indian real estate industry and the company is credited with developing
the modern township of Gurgaon.
K.P. Singh (Kushal Pal Singh) was born on August 15, 1931 at
Bulandshahar in Uttar Pradesh. After graduating in Science from Meerut
College, he went to UK to study Aeronautical Engineering. While pursuing
engineering in UK, K.P. Singh was selected to the prestigious Indian
Army, by British Officers Services Selection Board, UK. He joined the
Indian Military Academy at Dehradun and was later on commissioned into
The Deccan Horse-a renowned cavalry regiment of The Indian Army.
In 1960, K.P. Singh joined American Universal
Electric Company, a joint venture between Universal Electric Company of Owosso,
Michigan and his family. Thereafter, K.P. Singh promoted another
company, i.e. Willard India Limited in collaboration with ESB inc of
Philadelphia for manufacturing automatic and industrial batteries in
India and became its Managing Director.
In 1979, K.P. Singh joined DLF Universal Limited. When American
Universal Company merged with DLF Universal Limited, K.P. Singh became
the Managing Director of the new company. K.P. Singh had the vision to
buy land in Gurgaon, which was then a barren village on the outskirts of
Delhi. He had the foresight to saw the untapped potential of the place
and today Gurgaon is one of the real-estate hotspots of the country.
Presently, DLF has 100 million square feet under development in
residential, commercial and retail projects all over the country.
Kushal Pal Singh also held a number of professional positions in India.
He was the President of the ASSOCHAM (Associated Chamber of Commerce and
Industry of India) and the PHD Chambers of Commerce & Industry. K.P.
Singh is also the recipient of the 'Delhi Ratna' Award for his valuable
contribution to Delhi.