Read some famous quotations from Mahatma Gandhi.
Each quote is a reflection of Mahatma Gandhi's thinking.
Mahatma Gandhi Quote
Here are some famous quotes by Mahatma Gandhi. These quotes reveal his
thinking and are a guiding light and source of inspiration to others.
- I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when
the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall
the face of the poorest and the weakest man [woman] whom you may
have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to
be of any use to him [her]. Will he [she] gain anything by it? Will
it restore him [her] to a control over his [her] own life and
destiny? In other words, will it lead to swaraj [freedom] for the
hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your
doubts and your self melt away.
- Abstinence is forgiveness only when there is power to punish; it
is meaningless when it pretends to proceed from a helpless creature.
- Action for one's own self binds, action for the sake of others
delivers from bondage.
- What is faith worth if it is not translated into action?
- You assist an administration most effectively by obeying its
orders and decrees. An evil administration never deserves such
- Ahimsa is the highest ideal. It is meant for the brave, never for
- Ahimsa is the eradication of the desire to injure or to kill.
- Ahimsa is an attribute of the brave. Cowardice and ahimsa don't
go together any more that water and fire.
- True ahimsa should mean a complete freedom from ill-will and
anger and hate and an overflowing love for all.
- The removal of untouchability is one of the highest expressions
- The strength to kill is not essential for self-defence; one ought
to have the strength to die.
- Khadi has been conceived as the foundation and the image of
ahimsa. A real khadi-wearer will not utter an untruth. A real
khadi-wearer will harbour no violence, no deceit, no impurity.
- No power on earth can subjugate you when you are armed with the
sword of ahimsa. It ennobles both the victor and the vanquished.
- The votary of ahimsa has only one fear, that is, of God.
- The hardest heart and the grossest ignorance must disappear
before the rising sun of suffering without anger and without malice.
- The power of unarmed nonviolence is any day far superior to that
of armed force.
- I know nothing of the science of astrology and I consider it to
be a science, if it is a science, of doubtful value, to be severely
left alone by those who have any faith in Providence.
- God is conscience. He is even the atheism of the atheist.