Check out the benefits of whey protein and decide for yourself if a whey protein diet is beneficial for you or not.
Benefits Of Whey Protein
Before knowing the benefits of whey protein, you need to first know, what exactly is it? During the process of conversion of cow's milk into cheese, a by-product is formed. This by-product is known as ‘whey’. It is a magical supplement that contains a large amount of globular proteins, which when extracted, forms whey proteins. These proteins are the ‘building blocks’ for the body and contain the highest amount of amino acids, in terms of composition. Whey proteins are a rich source of the essential amino acids and make an exceptional protein choice for adults, children and infants. In its purest form, whey proteins contain little or no fat, lactose and cholesterol. Though whey proteins are mostly considered useful in terms of building muscle, you will be surprised to know that the benefits go beyond augmenting the build and the composition of the human body. They are especially healthy in relieving depression, decreasing pain and supplementing memory capacity. In the following lines, we have provided information about the benefits of whey protein.
Health Benefits of Whey Protein
- The amino acids present in whey proteins are essential for healthy muscles, nails, skin and other connective tissues, thereby helping in improving body composition and enhancing athletic performance.
- Whey proteins are especially helpful for the repair and growth of muscle tissue, mainly after a workout.
- Consumption of whey protein proves beneficial for athletes as it increases the levels of glutathione, thereby enhancing immunity.
- Whey proteins are useful to treat cancer patients as well. While undergoing chemotherapy or radiation, patients often face difficulty in getting the best from a balanced, nutritional diet. Thus, they tend to lose weight or face protein calorie malnutrition. Whey proteins are easy to digest and very gentle on the system and thus, make an excellent protein choice.
- Since whey proteins have almost negligible fat, lactose and cholesterol, they are beneficial for people who are diagnosed with diabetes, especially Type 2 Diabetes. It helps in controlling blood glucose levels and is effective in the case of weight management as well.
- Many researchers suggest that whey proteins are also found in human breast milk, which is why it is used as a key ingredient in most infant milk formulas. For those who cannot breast feed their children, infant formulas, containing whey protein, is the best alternative to include in the diet plan of children.
- For elderly people, the consumption of whey protein helps prevent bone loss. A diet rich in whey protein, will help keep bones and muscles healthy and strong.
- While recuperating from wounds and surgical incisions, our body requires a lot of proteins. Since whey proteins are high in amino acids, they are the perfect choice of foods for those suffering from cuts or incision wounds.
- Another effective benefit of whey protein is that it helps in supporting healthy weight-loss, as it acts as an appetite suppressant.
- Whey protein is known to decrease HIV symptoms and is also known to build resistance to those who are prone to contracting sexually-transmitted diseases such as common yeast infections, gonorrhea, syphilis and genital herpes.
- One of the biggest benefits of whey protein is that the ‘glutathione’ production increases, increasing the production of Vitamin C and E levels in the body. These help as anti-oxidants and are effective in terms of healthy skin and helping in the digestive processes.
- Whey proteins contain anti-inflammatory properties and provide quicker relief than a number of prescription medicines. Regular consumption of whey could help people develop the resistance against water retention in the body, thus reducing inflammation in areas like ankles, arms and the stomach.
- This protein is effective to relieve yourself from stress. Feeling stressed is directly related to feeling emotionally drained and lethargic. Whey proteins will not only help bring the stamina back, but will also help reduce the stress levels by slowing down the production of cortisol, a of the stress hormones.
- Whey proteins are useful to reduce depression, since it helps secrete the calming hormone, serotonin.
Whey proteins provide your body with the essential amino acids and are considered one of the purest forms of this dietary component. Apart from helping one gain muscular weight, whey proteins also help in balancing the essential nutrients in the body and helps in the growth of new cells and the repair of old ones. It is a common misconception to believe that whey protein is only used by body-builders, when in fact, new born babies, toddlers, teenagers and adults also consume this protein through breast-milk, pure cow’s milk and other dairy products.
Comment On This Article