Botanical Name(s): Convolvulus pluricaulis
Popular Name(s): Sankh Pushpi, Shankhini, Kambumalini, Samkhapushpi, Sankaphuli
Parts Used: Entire plant and juice
Habitat: Found in India and Burma
Shankhapushpi is a perennial herb that seems like morning glory. Its branches are spread on the ground and can be more than 30 cm long. The flowers are blue in color (5mm) and the leaves, which are elliptic in shape (2mm), are located at alternate positions with branches or flowers. Known as Aloe weed in English, the herb is commonly found in India, especially in the state of Bihar. All the parts of the herb are known to possess therapeutic benefits. It is believed to be the only herb that is capable of enhancing all the aspects related to brain power, such as learning, memory and the ability to recall. However, its popularity stems from its ability to treat insomnia effectively.
Various chemical compositions, such as glucose, sucrose, glycosides, alkaloids and various acids etc, are found in the plant.
Uses & Benefits of Shankapushpi
- Primarily, shankhapushpi is used as a brain tonic. It is one of the best and prominent natural medicines that help in improving memory. The whole plant of shankhapushpi is used in medical treatment. Its consumption also prevents memory loss.
- The herb is also used as one of the most important ingredients in the treatment of disorders/syndromes, such as hypertension, hypotension, anxiety neurosis, stresses etc.
- It is also beneficial in rejuvenation therapy and works as psycho-stimulant and tranquilizer.
- The extract from shankhapushpi helps in reducing the level of cholesterol in blood, including triglycerides, phospholipids and fatty acids.
- The herb is helpful in fighting ulcers that are formed in the body due to glycoprotiens and mucous secretions, improving the nerve tissues and bone marrow quality.
- The studies on shankhapushpi have also put forward that it is beneficial in remedying hypothyroidism.
- It is also one of the best herbs that are used for enhancing beauty and helps in nourishing all the layers of skin.
- The herb serves to induce a feeling of calm and peace, promotes good sleep and brings relief in anxiety and mental fatigue. It brings a significant reduction in anxiety levels and neuroticism occurring due to varied stress levels.
- Shankhapushpi has an invigorating effect on overall health and promotes health and weight gain.
- It also helps in removing certain types of fatty acids that are harmful for the body.
- Not much research has been published in the western medical literature on shankhapushpi. There is one study on the herb, which throws light on its anti-ulcer properties and its helpfulness in alleviating the symptoms of hyperthyroidism, by reducing the activeness of a liver enzyme.
Comment On This Article