Hawaiian Baby Woodrose
Botanical Name(s): Argyreia Nervosa
Species: A. nervosa
Popular Name(s): Elephant Creeper Seeds, Original Argyreia Seeds, Elephant Climber, Woolly Morning Glory, Cordon Seda, Coup D’Air, Liane A Minguet, Liane D’Argent, Samudrasokh, Silver Morning Glory
Parts Used: Seeds, wood
Habitat: Hills, 900m and above in India
A perennial climbing vine, Hawaiian baby woodrose is a liana, with a length extending up to 10 m. The plant has large, heart-shaped leaves and white trumpet-shaped flowers. The large furry seeds grow in seedpods. The vine can be up to 10 m in length. The petals are about 6 cm long, with shallowly lobes and pinkish-purple color. The plant’s fruit is spherical and yellowish-brown with a diameter of 20 mm. Hawaiian baby woodrose is originally from the Indian subcontinent, but has now been introduced to various other countries, like Hawaii, Africa and the Caribbean. It is known as Samandar-ka-pat in Hindi, Bastantri in Sanskrit, Candrapada in Kannada and Telugu, Marikkunni in Malayalam and Samuttirappaccai in Tamil.
(+)- tannin, potassium, calcium, phosphate
Uses & Benefits of Hawaiian Baby Woodrose
- Hawaiian baby woodrose is useful for healing wounds and increasing blood pressure to the effective parts.
- The roots of the plant are helpful in the treatment of gonorrhea, rheumatism, diseases of nervous system, obesity, hoarseness, syphilis, anemia, diabetes, tuberculosis and general debility.
- The herb is also very useful in vitiated conditions, like kapha and vita, emaciation, ulcers, anorexia, dyspepsia and latulence.
- Hawaiian baby woodrose helps in digestion, throat-related problems and also strengthens the body.
- The herb increases the sperm count and decreases the inflammation in the uterus.
- It is also helpful in resolving urine related problems.
- Hawaiian baby woodrose is anti-inflammatory in action and a cardiac supporter.
- Other ailments where the herb is used for treatment include bronchitis, strangury, seminal weakness, nervous weakness, cerebral disorders, arthritis and leucorrhoea.
- Consumption of the seed of Hawaiian baby woodrose may result in stomach discomfort within an hour or two of its consumption. The effect will be mild when only a few seeds are taken, but can progress to intense and prolonged nausea, along with vomiting. After vomiting, the sensation will subside rapidly.
- When consumed in higher doses, the herb can lead to a sensation of dryness in mouth and over skin.
- Another curious effect that Hawaiian baby woodrose is likely to cause is the itching and tingling sensation in the muscles, which can make it physically impossible for a person to get sleep.
- The seeds can induce labor or cause miscarriage in pregnant women.