Botanical Name(s): Boswellia Serrata
Popular Name(s): Indian Olibanum Tree, Luban, Gond, Shallaki, Guggal
Parts Used: Bark, Gum Resin
Habitat: Found in the dry, hilly areas of India
Indian frankincense is botanically known as boswellia serrata. The most important derivative of the herb is the boswellia gum resin. When the tree trunk is tapped, a gummy oleoresin is exuded, which is fragrant, transparent, and brownish yellow in color. A purified extract of this resin is used in modern herbal preparations. Indian frankincense has been found to improve blood supply to the joints and restore integrity of vessels weakened by spasm. The herb has been used in the Indian Ayurvedic medicine since thousands of years. Traditionally, the gum resin from the plant has been used to treat diabetes, skin and blood diseases, fever, cardiovascular disorders, neurological disorders, rheumatism, dysentery, diseases of the testes, and some other disorders. It is mostly found in the western and central part of India, most notably in Rajasthan & Madhya Pradesh.
Cardinene, Camphene, Olibanol, Dipentene, Pinene and Phellandrene
Uses & Benefits of Indian Frankincense
- The bark of Indian frankincense is sweet, cooling and tonic. It is good in vitiated conditions of Pitta, cough and asthma.
- The herb is useful in fevers, urethrorrhea, diaphoresis, convulsions, chronic laryngitis and jaundice.
- It is also known to be useful in treating arthritis. The active ingredient contained in the resin, boswellic acid, is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent. It is also said to possess pain-relieving properties. These two properties make the plant effective against rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- The plant extract has the effect of a mild sedative. This is rather a side effect of the plant, but works well as a pain reliever in many conditions.
- According to some studies, the extract from Indian frankincense has properties that tend to make it effective for lowering cholesterol levels in the blood and liver. Overall body cholesterol levels are brought down by this medicinal herb.
- Some studies have also figured out the immune boosting properties of this herb.
- The medicinal herb has been used to treat Crohn’s disease and colitis quite effectively. Its extract has been successfully used to treat Asthma. It also helps relax bronchial passageways.
- The oil made from Indian frankincense is a very effective one, which can calm and soothe the whole body and mind. It works to reduce all the aches and pains in the body and also clears the lungs. This herbal oil acts as a skin tonic.
- Indian frankincense has very mild side effects, which include diarrhea, dysentery, pulmonary disease, and ringworm.
Comment On This Article
: Use of undefined constant REQUEST_URI - assumed 'REQUEST_URI' in /home/iloveind/public_html/indian-herbs/template/paste-468.html
on line 31