Read about tattoos and piercings, body tattooing and piercing in teens and parenting teenagers who want tattoos and body decorations.
Tattoos and Piercings
Tattoos and piercing all over the body, other than ear lobes, is a difficult topic for parents to deal with. Teenagers with raging hormones often get swept off by raging trends and neglect the risks and permanence of the designs and that what may seem the ‘in’ thing today may make him look like a ‘weirdo’ in the future. Here are some tips that might help you in talking your kids out of their ‘tattoos and piercings’ phase:
- Find about the laws regarding tattoos and piercing in your country, age restrictions on the type of tattoo designs children can go for without parental consent and regulations regarding Tattoo Parlors and piercing places.
- Ask your teen to consult your family doctor or a good medical professional first.
- Use matter-of-fact voice to state that people with tattoos and piercing may not be admitted to certain careers such as some branches of military, teaching or clergy and going for such decorations may become a barrier in teens’ ambitions later.
- Educate yourself and your child about the truths of tattoos and piercings a\by getting real-life information and doing online searches regarding scarring, infection, reversal procedures and their complications and dangers of the processes. Contact a plastic surgeon may give you both an idea about the reversal procedures better.
- Challenge your child to use his own will if he wants to go for body tattooing or piercing and not to get it done because of peer pressure or just because everyone else is doing it.
- You may even want to bribe your own child and suggest that if he is ready to wait till he is 21 to get the tattoos or piercing done, you may help him to buy his own car. By that age, the priorities and choices of kids usually change and he or she may no longer have this whim anymore.
If after all your efforts and reasoning, if your teen is still keen on going for certain body art or face jewelry, try to relax and hope that piercing marks will shrink with time and you may make your kids wear clothes that hide their tattoos when they go out with you.