Know about early adolescents, early adolescence
stage and understanding early teens.
The most difficult phase of life is early
adolescence. It is a phase when the kid is not yet mature but he is no
longer a kid. Peers insist that they have grown enough to be self
independent while parents still not provide ample freedom. This is the
time when even studies are getting more difficult and physical changes
are a constant source of irritation. There is a lot of confusion,
hesitation and a search of the real identity. Life seems vague and
Adolescence is the time when all of a sudden world starts looking
different. All of a sudden the fear of losing out in the rat race of
life takes a toll on other important aspects of life. The sheer
innocence of friendship is lost. Several new kinds of fantasies beyond
the fun fantasy of Tom and Jerry start taking a toll on mind. This is
the time when a kid needs perfect parenting. This is the turn in their
life which decides their future and entire course of life. So, as a
parent you must know how to treat your kid at this stage of his life.
Adolescence: Know How Your Kid Feels
- Your Kid is very confused at this stage of life; he/she is not
sure about his career and his preferences in life.
- He/She is extremely unaware of the difficulties beyond your arena
of comfort zone.
- He/She is very perturbed by the physical changes in their body
and their increasing inclination for the opposite sex.
- The responsibilities of studies are taking a toll on his life.
- He/She is confused by the glam and glitter of money. He/She often
fantasizes to be a billionaire to buy all the possible things in the
- The curiosity to explore things is at its extreme.
- The peer pressure is very much there in their life.
- He/She is unhappy with you because of the restrictions you impose
or the attention you miss to provide.
How can you act as parent?
- Do not preach. They are not going to do any good. If you want to
tell them something discuss like an adult.
- Make them feel responsibility comes simultaneously with freedom.
- Keep a constant eye on his friend circle but do not over inquire
or reveal it.
- Keep a check on his study report and ask for his problems with
studies, if any. Do not scold but show strictness about results and
- Other than studies, engage them with the hobbies of their choice.
Be it guitar, painting, dancing or anything. This will channelize
their energy in right direction.
- Never be apprehensive if they are close friends with opposite
sex. Give them their space but not without a constant check.
- Be friends, discuss about the natural phenomenon of life.
Cautiously discuss about the physical changes in their body. You can
also subscribe a good teen magazine for them if you do not feel
- Do not make them feel that sex and physical changes are taboo not
to be discussed. Make them understand that there is a right phase
for everything in life. Also, inculcate habits of cleanliness and
hygiene in their routine. It will help them grow as a mature
- Give time. Listen to them. Do not always be a mother or father
try being a friend at times.
- Do not overburden them with responsibility. Though they may have
started appearing like an adult, remember they are till a kid,
unaware of many social do's and don'ts.
- Socialize with them. Take them for some parties you feel, you are
comfortable taking them. Arrange a get together for his/her friends.
Take them dine out after exams or simply if they are feeling low.
- Let them experiment with their wardrobe and hairstyle. This is
the only time when they can do this. Remember even you did this!
- Respect their secrets. If you wont you will lose respect in their