Here are some tips for marathon runners. Read
about marathon running training program.
Tips For Marathon Runners
Marathon is one of the most popular and toughest
races that the runners indulge in. Training yourself for marathon
running can be a tough call for those who are not in the habit of
running. The activity demands real hard labor, so as to ensure
effectiveness. Marathon training consists of running about 52,400 foot
strikes. Before starting off with your marathon training program, you
should get your body accustomed to running a minimum of 5 miles per week
on pavement, as that would act as a mini-marathon training session.
Remember, the key to achieve success in marathon running lies in
endurance. In the following line, we have provided tips for marathon
runner, to make the activity easy and enjoyable.
Tips For Marathon Runners
- The foremost tip would be to set realistic goals yourself. Once
you achieve the target, give yourself a reward. It might sound
stupid, but setting goals, achieving them and then rewarding
yourself goes a long way in enhancing your drive and commitment.
- Plan your week much in advance. This will help you be mentally
prepared for the schedule.
- We all know that variety is the spice of life. Spice up your
running as well by infusing a variation such as altering the pace,
terrain and time you run for. This would make running all the more a
- Rest holds the key for growth. After a day of hard workout, give
your body some rest. The free time would help in restoring your
energies and enhancing your capabilities.
- As for the diet, take in lots of carbohydrate. It is the body's
fuel for exercise. Try to indulge in a healthy, balanced diet. Drink
lots of water.
- Running along can be very boring. Try to get a partner for
yourself. This would make the experience all the more entertaining.
Also, during times when you feel less motivated, you can look up to
the person and regain back the energy.
- Patience is quintessential. Remember, you cannot have immediate
results. Successful running takes time.
- Lastly, it is very important to have fun and enjoy the activity.
You just cannot improve your performance if you do not like doing
- Stretch your muscles at the start of marathon. This would help
bring in flexibility to your body. Concentrate stretching around the
leg region, including the calves, hamstrings, quads and feet.
- Wear comfortable clothes on the race day. Get synthetic socks;
instead of cotton ones, to avoid blisters. These socks also help to
keep your feet cool, despite profuse sweating. Get a comfortable
pair of running shoes.
- As for food, the best bet would be to eat three hours before the
start. Binge on foods rich in carbohydrates such as pasta, bagels
and bananas. This would help you restore the body's glycogen levels.
- Keep you body hydrated. Water holds the key for enhancing the
performance of the body and restoring the energy levels.
- Take appropriate rest after the marathon. Icing sore areas and
keeping feet elevated will help to relieving pain and swelling.