Sahara India is a giant business group with diverse
interests. Here is a brief profile and history of Sahara India.
Sahara India is a major Indian corporate group with diverse business
interests that include: Finance, Infrastructure & Housing, Media &
Entertainment, Tourism & Hospitality, Consumables, Manufacturing and
Services & Trading. The group was founded in 1978 by Subroto Roy,
with a capital of Rs. 2000, and today Sahara India has an asset base of
over Rs. 50,000 crores.
Business Interests of Sahara India
1. Finance: In the field of finance, Sahara Group has interests
in parabanking, life insurance, mutual funds, and housing finance.
- Parabanking: Sahara India Financial Corporation Limited is
India's largest mobilization company in the private sector with the
highest yearly deposit. It is the first RNBC to be granted a
certificate of registration by the RBI.
- Life Insurance: Sahara India Life Insurance Company Ltd is the
first wholly Indian-owned Life Insurance Company in the private
- Mutual Fund: Sahara Mutual Fund was established in 2005.
Presently, it offers 7 schemes: 3 Equity schemes & 4 Debt
- Housing Finance: Sahara Housingfina Corporation Limited was
founded in August 2002. It commenced retail lending in May 2004. The
company has four regional offices in Kolkata, Lucknow, Hyderabad and
Mumbai and a branch each in Kolkata, Asansol, Siliguri, Lucknow,
Gorakhpur, Pune, Hyderabad, Vijaywada and Mumbai.
2. Infrastructure & Housing:
Sahara Infrastructure & Housing is India's largest realtor. It
offers broad range of houses, commercial & retail spaces, office
spaces and luxurious penthouses & villas. The company is building
townships in 217 cities all over India.
3. Media & Entertainment: Sahara Group has interests in
television, cinema, and newspaper. The group has an entertainment
channel called Sahara One and a news channel by the name of Sahara
Samay. Sahara One Motion Pictures is Hindi Cinema Production House with
over 50 films in various stages of production. The group also publishes
English, Hindi, and Urdu newspapers.
4. Consumer Products & Retail Chain: Sahara India offers a
range of consumer products and is developing one of the largest retail
chains in India under the brand name Sahara Unique. Its product range
include: Fashion & Lifestyle Products, Fitness & Leisure
Products, Clothing, Jewellery etc.
5. Manufacturing: Sahara India is into jute manufacturing and
development of handicraft industry.
6. Services & Trading: Sahara has one of the largest V-SAT
network called Sahara Net. It has an extensive 6000 strong branch
network with 24-hour on-line satellite connectivity. Sahara Care House
offers a host of attractive services to the dependants of NRIs in India.
Note: The above information was last updated on 21-07-2007
Comment On This Article