Reliance Group is India's largest private sector
enterprise. Here is a brief profile of RIL.
Reliance Group is India's largest private sector enterprise with
revenues in excess of US$ 25 billion. The group has diversified business
interests in areas such as petrochemicals, textiles and retail. Reliance
Group's flagship company, Reliance Industries Limited (RIL), is a
Fortune Global 500 company and is the largest private sector company in
The Reliance Group was founded by the legendary Dhirubhai H. Ambani. In
1975, the company expanded into textiles. Dhirubhai Ambani introduced
equity cult in India when Reliance went public with IPO in 1977. Since
the launch of its IPO RIL has expanded rapidly and integrated backwards
into other industry sectors, most notably the production of
petrochemicals and the refining of crude oil. Dhirubhai led the
evolution as a global leader in the materials and energy value chain
businesses. Today, Reliance Group's activities range from exploration
and production of oil and gas, petroleum refining and marketing,
petrochemicals (polyester, fibre intermediates, plastics and chemicals)
to textiles and retail. Reliance enjoys global leadership in its
businesses. It is the largest polyester yarn and fibre producer in the
world and among the top five to ten producers in the world in major
petrochemical products. Presently, Reliance Group has more than 25,000
employees on its rolls and exports products in excess of US$ 15 billion
to more than 100 countries in the world.
Business Interests of Reliance:
Petroleum Exploration and Production: Petroleum Exploration and
Production is a major growth area for Reliance and Reliance intends to
become a global energy major. RIL is the largest Oil & Gas acreage
holder among the Private sector companies in India with 34 domestic
exploration blocks covering an area of about 331,000 sq. km. It is also
India's first private sector company in the Exploration and Production
(E&P) sector to have discovered large gas reserves. RIL also has
interests in one exploration block each in Yemen and Oman.
Petroleum Refining and Marketing: Reliance operates the third largest
refinery in the world at any single location, with a capacity of 30
million tons per year of crude throughput, at Jamnagar, Gujarat.
Reliance is in the process of doubling the petroleum refinery at
Jamnagar, which will make it the largest petroleum refinery in the
world. The products rolled out from Reliance refinery include: LPG,
Propylene, Naptha, Reformate, Gasoline, TAME, Jet / Aviation Turbine
Fuel / Superior Kerosene Oil, High Speed Diesel, Sulphur, and Petroleum
Pretrochemicals: Reliance deals in following petrochemical products:
- Polymer: Reliance's polymer business is integrated with
its cracker facility at Hazira, as well as its refinery at Jamnagar,
ensuring feedstock availability at all times. The company operates
world-scale plants for Polyolefins and PVC with state-of-art
technologies from global licensors like Novacor, Geon and Union
- Polyester: Reliance is the largest producer of polyester
fibre and yarn in the world, with a capacity of 2,000 KTA.
- Polyester Intermediates: Reliance is the world's 3rd
largest producer of Paraxylene (PX), 6th largest producer of
Purified Terephthalic Acid (PTA) and 5th largest producer of Mono
Ethylene Glycol (MEG).
Textiles: Reliance textile
products are sold under the brand names of Only Vimal, Harmony, Reance,
RueRel and V2 (pre-cut, pre-packed products). Reliance's Naroda Textile
Complex, one of India's largest and modern textile complexes, produces
about 25 million metres of fabric both for domestic and international
Retail: Reliance has recently entered the retail market and is
aggressively working on introducing a pan-India network of retail
outlets in multiple formats.
Major Subsidiaries & Associates of Reliance
- Reliance Petroleum Limited
- Reliance Netherlands BV (including Trevira)
- Reliance Retail Limited
- Ranger Farms Private Limited
- Retail Concepts and Services Private Limited
- Reliance Retail Insurance Broking Limited
- Reliance Dairy Foods Limited
- Reliance Retail Finance Limited
- RESQ Limited
- Reliancedigital Retail Limited
- Reliance Service Solutions Limited
- Reliance Jamnagar Infrastructure Limited
- Reliance Haryana SEZ Limited
- Reliance Industrial Investment & Holdings Limited
- Reliance Ventures Limited
- Reliance Strategic Investments Limited
- Reliance Exploration & Production - DMCC
- Reliance Industries (Middle East) DMCC
- Reliance Global Management Services (P) Limited.
- Indian Petrochemicals Corporation Limited
- Reliance Industrial Infrastructure Limited
- Reliance Europe Limited
Major Achievements of Reliance:
- The world's largest producer of Polyester Fibre and Yarn
- 4th largest producer of Paraxylene (PX)
- 5th largest producer of Purified Terepthalic Acid (PTA)
- 7th largest producer of Polypropylene (PP)
- Reliance's refinery at Jamnagar is the third largest refinery at
a single location in the world.
- Reliance pioneered the first ever Euro Convertible Bond issue by
an Indian company.
- Reliance is the first private sector company in India to be rated
by international credit rating agencies.
- First corporate in Asia to issue 50 and 100 years bond in US debt
- First private sector company in India to record a net profit of
US dollar of over 1 billion.
Note: The above information was last updated on 21-07-2007
Comment On This Article