GAIL (India) Ltd is one of India's leading PSUs. Here
is a brief profile and history of Gas Authority of India Ltd
GAIL (India) Ltd. is India's principal gas transmission and marketing
company. GAIL is involved in all aspects of the Natural Gas value chain,
which include: Exploration & Production, Processing, Transmission,
Distribution and Marketing, and its related services. In a scenario
where society is increasingly concerned about the impact of development
on environment and Natural gas is one of most clean fuels available,
GAIL has a critical role to play. GAIL is currently spearheading the
move to a new era of clean fuel industrialization by creating a
quadrilateral of green energy corridors that connect major consumption
centres in India with major gas fields, LNG terminals and other cross
border gas sourcing points.
GAIL (India) Ltd. was previously known as Gas Authority of India Ltd.
It was set up by the Government of India in August 1984 to create gas
sector infrastructure for sustained development of the natural gas
sector in the country. During its short lifespan GAIL has achieved
several major milestones.
Major Milestones of GAIL
- The 2800-km Hazira-Vijaipur-Jagdishpur (HVJ) pipeline became
operational in 1991.
- GAIL began its city gas distribution in Delhi in 1997 by setting
up nine CNG stations, catering to the city's vast public transport
- In 1999, GAIL set up northern India's only petrochemical plant at
- In 2001, GAIL commissioned world's longest and India's first
Cross Country LPG Transmission Pipeline from Jamnagar to Loni.
- GAIL became the first Infrastructure Provider Category II
Licensee and signed India's first Service Level Agreement for
leasing bandwidth in the Delhi-Vijaipur sector in 2001, through its
telecom business GAILTEL.
- Gas Authority of India was renamed GAIL (India) Limited on
November 22, 2002.
GAIL's Business Portfolio includes:
- 5,800 km of Natural Gas high pressure trunk pipeline with a
capacity to carry 130 MMSCMD of natural gas across the country.
- 7 LPG Gas Processing Units to produce 1.2 MMTPA of LPG and other
- 1,922 km of LPG Transmission pipeline network with a capacity to
transport 3.8 MMTPA of LPG.
- 30 oil and gas Exploration blocks and 3 Coal Bed Methane Blocks.
- 13,000 km of OFC network offering highly dependable bandwidth for
telecom service providers.
- Joint venture companies in Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Kanpur,
Agra, Lucknow, Bhopal, and Pune, for supplying Piped Natural Gas
(PNG) to households and commercial users, and Compressed Natural Gas
(CNG) to the transport sector.
- Participating stake in the Dahej LNG Terminal and the upcoming
Kochi LNG Terminal in Kerala.
- Presence in the CNG and City Gas sectors in Egypt through equity
participation in three Egyptian companies: Fayum Gas Company SAE,
Shell CNG SAE and National Gas Company SAE.
- Stake in China Gas Holding to explore opportunities in the CNG
sector in mainland China.
- A wholly-owned subsidiary company GAIL Global (Singapore) Pte Ltd
Today, besides gas infrastructure
GAIL has also diversified into Petrochemicals, Telecom and Liquid
Major Achievements of GAIL
- Selected as the top Indian company in the Gas Processing,
Transmission and Marketing sector for the Dun & Bradstreet -
American Express Corporate Awards 2006.
- GAIL's Dahej-Vijaipur Pipeline Project won the Silver Medal in
Mega Projects Category at the International Project Management
Association Awards, 2006.
- Received the Platts Global Industry Leadership Award 2005.
- Rated as one of the Best Employers in India by Hewitt Associates
- Global Platts Survey No. 1 Company among global gas utilities in
terms of Return on Invested Capital (2002-03)
Note: The above information was last updated
Comment On This Article