Bajaj Group is a leading business house of India with
diverse business interests. Here is a brief profile and history of Bajaj
Group of companies.
The Bajaj Group is one of the leading business houses of India. Its
business interests span host of industries such as automobiles
(two-wheelers and three-wheelers), home appliances, lighting, iron and
steel, insurance, travel and finance. The Bajaj brand is well-known in
over a dozen countries in Europe, South America, the US and Asia. The
Bajaj Group comprises 27 companies and its flagship company Bajaj Auto
is ranked as the world's fourth largest two- and three- wheeler
Bajaj Group was founded in 1926, at the height of India's movement for
independence from the British. Jamnalal Bajaj, founder of the group, was
a close associate of Mahatma Gandhi. Jamnalal Bajaj's close involvement
in the freedom movement did not leave him with much time for his
business. In 1942, his son Kamalnayan Bajaj took charge of the business.
He consolidated the group and diversified into various manufacturing
activities. Rahul Bajaj, the present Chairman and Managing Director of
the group took reins of the business in 1965. Under his leadership the
group has achieved new heights and ranks among the top 10 business
houses in India.
Bajaj Group Companies and their business interests:
- Bajaj Auto Ltd: Manufacturers of Scooters, Motorcycles
and Three-wheeler vehicles and spare parts thereof.
- Bajaj Electricals Ltd.: Manufacturers of electric fans,
highmasts, lattice closed towers and poles, etc. and marketing of
electrical goods such as general lighting service lamps, special
lamps, compact fluorescent lamps, fluorescent tubes, luminaries,
fans and electrical & non-electrical appliances.
- Mukand Ltd.: Manufacturers of stainless, alloy and
special steels including carbon and alloy steels, free cutting
steels, semi-free cutting steels, leaded free cutting steels, cold
heading quality steels, spring steels including vanadium steels,
high carbon steels; electrode quality steels, boiler quality steels;
wire rods,wires, castings, machine tools; E.O.T. and other cranes;
bulk material handling equipment for steel and other industries;
specialist in major turnkey projects,highway construction and
international trading; real estate development.
- Bajaj Hindusthan Ltd.: Manufacturers of white crystal
sugar and industrial alcohol.
- Maharashtra Scooters Ltd.: Manufactures of scooters.
- Bajaj Auto Finance Ltd.: Deals in financial services
including hire purchase financing & leasing.
- Hercules Hoists Ltd.: Manufacturers of 'INDEF' brand
materials handling equipments such as triple spur gear chain pulley
blocks, chain electric hoists, wire rope, electric hoists,
travelling trolleys, EOT / HOT / stores stacker cranes, roll-out
- Bajaj Sevashram Pvt Ltd.: Involved in investment
- Hind Lamps Ltd.: Manufacturers of GLS, fluorescent,
miniature lamps and major components such as glass shells, miniature
and aluminium caps, lead glass, etc.
- Bajaj Ventures Ltd.: Involved in manufacturing and
trading of power tools and manufacturing of houseware and parts
- Bajaj International Pvt. Ltd.: Exporters of electrical
fans, GLS lamps, fluorescent tubes, lighting fittings, luminaries,
household appliances and hoists.
- Hind Musafir Agency Pvt. Ltd.: Travel Agency.
- Mukand International Ltd.: Involved in trading of metals,
steels and ferro alloys.
- Mukand Engineers Ltd.: Construction, fabrication and
erection of industrial and infrastructural projects and infotech
- Mukand Global Finance Ltd.: Financial services: fund
based activities - loans and investments, consumer finance,
corporate finance. Fee based activities - investment banking,
corporate advisory services.
- Bachhraj Factories Pvt. Ltd.: Ginning and pressing of
cotton bales at Wardha.
- Bajaj Consumer Care Ltd.: Manufacturing and trading of
ayurvedic medicines, hair oil, tooth powder, Shampoos, Pure coconut
- Bajaj Auto Holdings Ltd.: Investment company.
- Jamnalal Sons Pvt. Ltd.: Investment and finance company.
- Bachhraj & Company Pvt. Ltd.: Investment company.
- Jeewan Ltd.: Investment company.
- The Hindustan Housing Co. Ltd.: Services company
- Baroda Industries Pvt Ltd.: Investment company
- Stainless India Ltd.: Manufacturers of stainless steel
billets and flats etc.
- Bombay Forging Ltd.: Manufacturers of carbon, alloy and
stainless steel closed die forgings for automobile and general
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company Ltd.: General
- Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance Company Ltd.: Life Insurance
Note: The above information was last updated on 21-07-2007
Comment On This Article