This article contains information on 'Tatkal' Scheme
provided by Indian Railways. Check out 'Tatkal' scheme of Indian Railways.
The introduction of 'Tatkal' Scheme by Indian Railways has been proved beneficial for latecomers. 'Tatkal' is an emergency reservation scheme. The 'Tatkal' scheme is applicable to more than 100 trains throughout India. Under this scheme, people can book their tickets just one day before the actual date of journey, excluding the date of journey, w.e.f 21/11/2011. The booking for 'Tatkal' opens at 08:00 hrs IST one day prior to the definite date of journey. For example, for train leaving on 8th, Tatkal Booking will Commence at 8 AM on 7th.
The Tatkal Charges have been fixed as a percentage of fare at the rate of 10% of basic fare for second class and 30% of basic fare for all other classes subject to minimum and maximum as given in the table below:
|Class of Travel
||Minimum Tatkal Charges (in Rs.)
||Maximum Tatkal Charges (in Rs.)
|AC Chair Car
|AC 3 Tier
|AC 2 Tier
Things to be kept in mind before going for 'Tatkal Scheme'
- 'Tatkal' bookings are permitted in all classes except First AC.
- Executive Class of Shatabadi Express trains now comes under the purview of Tatkal facility.
- Tatkal tickets will be issued for actual distance of travel, instead of end-to-end, subject to the distance restriction applicable to the train.
- Identity proof is not required under 'Tatkal' scheme in any case.
- One cannot opt for Ladies and General quota with 'Tatkal' quota.
- One must check for 'Tatkal' quota in advance because for some trains/ class/ locations 'Tatkal' quota could not be available.
- In 'Tatkal' booking, no concessions are allowed, not even to senior citizens.
- The delivery time for 'Tatkal' tickets remains the same like normal tickets, so it is recommended to book tickets considering the delivery time.
- Change of name is not allowed on the bookings made under this scheme.
- Reservation under this scheme would be offered till the time of charts preparation.
- On cancellation of ticket, one would receive an amount of 25% of total fare charged on non-confirmed ticket (excluding Tatkal Charges). The ticket can be cancelled up to 24 hrs before the scheduled time for the departure of train. No refund would be granted on the confirmed 'Tatkal' tickets, if cancelled within 24 hrs of the scheduled departure.
Comment On This Article