Here is brief profile of South Indian Bank
South Indian Bank
South Indian Bank Ltd was established by a band of
enterprising men at a time when Swadeshi movement was gathering
momentum. The Bank was established in Thrissur a major town in the
erstwhile State of Cochin. The objective behind establishment of the
Bank was to provide for the people a safe, efficient and service
oriented repository of savings of the community on one hand and to free
the business community from the clutches of greedy moneylenders on the
other by providing need based credit at reasonable rates of interest.
ICICI Bank Ltd, is the biggest shareholder of the South Indian Bank
holding 11.25% of the bank's equity.
South Indian Bank has several firsts to its credit
- FIRST among the private sector banks in Kerala to become a
scheduled bank in 1946 under the RBI Act.
- FIRST bank in the private sector in India to open a Currency
Chest on behalf of the RBI in April 1992.
- FIRST private sector bank to open a NRI branch in November 1992.
- FIRST among the Kerala based banks to offer a Credit Card to
customers in November 1992.
- FIRST bank in the private sector to start an Industrial Finance
Branch in March 1993.
- FIRST among the private sector banks in Kerala to open an "Overseas
Branch" to cater exclusively to the export and import business
in June 1993..
- FIRST bank in Kerala to develop an in-house, a fully integrated
branch automation software in addition to the in-house partial
automation solution operational since 1992.
Presently, South Indian Bank has a network of 450
branches and 45 Extension Counters spread over 19 States/UT.
South Indian Bank Ltd.
Thrissur 680 001
2420020, 2420058, 2420113 2429333 (Secretarial Dept)
Email: [email protected]