Here is a brief profile and history of Punjab
National Bank, India
Punjab National Bank
Punjab National Bank (PNB) is the second largest government-owned commercial bank in India. Having more than 3.5 crore customer, Punjab National Bank has one of the largest branch networks in India. The bank's assets for financial year 2007 were about US$60 billion.
Products and Services
Savings Fund Account - Total Freedom Salary Account, PNB Prudent Sweep, PNB Vidyarthi SF Account, PNB Mitra SF
Account Current Account - PNB Vaibhav, PNB Gaurav, PNB Smart Roamer
Fixed Deposit Schemes - Spectrum Fixed Deposit Scheme, Anupam Account, Mahabachat Schemes, Multi Benefit Deposit
Scheme Credit Schemes - Flexible Housing Loan, Car Finanace, Personal Loan, Credit Cards
Social Banking - Mahila Udyam Nidhi Scheme, Krishi Card, PNB Farmers Welfare Trust
Corporate Banking - Gold Card scheme for exporters, EXIM finance
Business Sector - PNB Karigar credit card, PNB Kushal Udhami, PNB Pragati Udhami, PNB Vikas Udhami
Apart from these, the PNB also offers locker facilities, senior citizens schemes, PPF schemes and various E-services.
Awards and Distinctions
- Ranked among top 50 companies by the leading financial daily, Economic Times.
- Ranked as 323rd biggest bank in the world by Bankers Almanac (January 2006), London.
- Earned 9th place among India's Most Trusted top 50 service brands in Economic Times- A.C Nielson Survey.
- Included in the top 1000 banks in the world according to The Banker, London.
- Golden Peacock Award for Excellence in Corporate Governance - 2005 by Institute of Directors.
- FICCI's Rural Development Award for Excellence in Rural Development – 2005
PNB Overseas Offices
PNB has a banking subsidiary in the United Kingdom, as well as branches in Hong Kong and Kabul. It has representative offices in Almaty, Shanghai, and Dubai.
Coming into Being
The bank was established in 1895 at Lahore. PNB's founders included several leaders of the Swadeshi movement like Dyal Singh Majithia, Lala HarKishen Lal, Lala Lalchand, Kali Prosanna Roy, EC Jessawala, Prabhu Dayal, Bakshi Jaishi Ram, and Lala Dholan Dass. Lala Lajpat Rai was actively associated with the banks’s management in its early years.
It holds the distinction of being the first Indian bank to have been started solely with Indian capital. In 1969, it was nationalized by the Government of India along with 13 other banks.
Punjab National Bank.
7, Bhikhaiji Cama Place,
New Delhi - 110066
Phone: 91-11-2371 6185