Wimbledon is the oldest professional tennis tournament of the world. The Wimbledon Cup is the crown in a Wimbledon Championship. While the Men (Gentlemen) win a "cup", the Women (Ladies) win a "dish". Subsequently, the Wimbledon Cup is displayed at the All England Club Museum for months after the Championship.
The Wimbledon began as an event only for the Gentlemen in the year
1877. It was only in 1884 that the Ladies singles and Men's doubles
event began. In this article, we will tell you more about the various
trophies in the Wimbledon Championship. If you wanted to know the
details about the various Wimbledon trophies, then read on.
Wimbledon Trophy for the Gentlemen's Singles Championship
The trophy for the Gentlemen is a silver gilt cup and cover which is
presented by the All England Club. The words "The All England Lawn
Tennis Club Single Handed Championship of the World" are inscribed
in it. The cup is 18½ inches in size and has a diameter of 7½
inches. It has a couple of handles on each side and a raised foot as
well. The head of the Cup is made with a pineapple on top of it and is
covered with a helmet that is present under each of the handle. The bowl
of the cup is decorated beautifully with borders and floral work and
oval style moldings. However, since the year 1949, all the Wimbledon
champions have received a miniature replica of the Wimbledon trophy
which stands about 8½ inches tall.
Wimbledon Trophy for the Ladies' Singles Championship
The trophy for the Ladies Single Championship is a silver tray, which
is also known as 'Rosewater Dish' or 'Venus Rosewater Dish', which was
won for the first time in the year 1886. The tray of the trophy is made
of silver that is partly gilded and is 18½ inches in diameter. In
the centre of the trophy, there is a beautiful design that is surrounded
by four reserves that are spread out to the rim of the trophy. The rest
of the tray is designed with gilt renaissance patterns and motifs.
The main theme of the trophy is mythological. The figure which is there
at the centre of the trophy is that of Temperance, seated on a chest
with a lamp that is shown in her right hand while her left hand carries
a jug. There are various other attributes which surround her, like a
sickle, fork and caduceus. The four reserves on the side of the dish
contain the figures of classical Gods, together with these elements
surrounding them. The rim of the tray shows Minerva controlling the
seven literal arts; namely, Astrology, Geometry, Arithmetic, Music,
Rhetoric, Dialectic and Grammar. Just like with the Men's Trophy, since
1949, all the champions have received a miniature replica of the trophy
which is 8 inches in diameter.
Wimbledon Trophy for the Gentlemen's Doubles Championship
The Wimbledon Gentlemen's Double Championship trophy is a silver cup
which is given to the Gentlemen Pair who win the Doubles Championship.
The first doubles game was played in 1879 and was sponsored by the
Oxford University, who presented the cup to the All England Club in the
year 1884. The Doubles game was played at Oxford University from
1879-1883 but then it was moved to Wimbledon in the year 1884.
Wimbledon Trophy for the Ladies' Doubles Championship
The Wimbledon Trophy for the Ladies' Doubles Championship is a silver
cup and it is also known as 'The Duchess of Kent Challenge Cup', which
was presented to the club in the year 1949 by the Princess of Marina who
was the President of the All England Club.
Wimbledon Trophy for the Mixed Doubles Championship
The silver colored Wimbledon Trophy and cover for the Mixed Doubles
Championship is presented to the pair of mixed doubles (man and woman)
who wins the Championship. It was presented to the All England Club by
the family of the late S.H. Smith, who won the doubles title back in the
year 1902 and again in 1906, partnering with late F.L. Riley.