Swami Chinmayananda Mission or the Chinmaya
Mission traces its roots to India.
The Chinmaya Mission
Chinmaya Mission aims at providing people with the knowledge and
understanding of the Vedanta. It also attempts to teach them the
practical way of attaining the goal of spiritual growth and contentment.
All this helps in enabling them to make positive contribution to the
society and its members.
Foundation of Chinmaya Mission
His Holiness Swami Chinmayananda, the famous Vedanta teacher, laid the
foundation of the Chinmaya Mission in India in the year 1953. The
mission comprises of a broad range of spiritual, educational, and
charitable activities. The administration of the Mission is under the
Central Chinmaya Mission Trust, situated in Mumbai. Presently, His
Holiness Swami Tejomayananda heads the Chinmaya Mission of India.
What is Chinmaya Mission?
Swami Chinmayananda Mission is trying to bring the ageless wisdom of
Vedanta closer to people. At the same time, it also provides them with
the tools that will help them realize that wisdom in their life. The
Mission follows Vedic teacher-taught tradition (guru-shishya parampara)
and attempts to lift the human race beyond selfishness. It teaches them
to strive towards a life of peace and harmony.
Projects and Activities under Chinmaya Mission
- Bala Vihar (Vedanta forum for children and youth)
- Devi Group (Vedanta study and discussion forum for housewives)
- Intensive Vedanta Courses [training for Chinmaya Mission's order
of monks: swamis and brahmacharis (bachelors)]
- Jnana Yajnas (Vedanta lecture series, seminars, workshops)
- Management Courses and Services
- Medical Services and Training
- Pitamaha Sadans (senior citizens' homes)
- Regional Centers
- Research in Sanskrit and Indology
- Rural Village Development Projects
- Schools and Colleges
- Spiritual Retreats and Camps
- Study Group (Vedanta forum for adults)
- Temples and Shrines
- Yuva Kendra (Vedanta forum for university students and young
His Holiness Swami Chinmayananda
His Holiness Swami Chinmayananda was a spiritual leader and was one of
the primary teachers of Shrimad Bhagavad Gita. He was also the founder
of Chinmaya Mission and emphasized on spirituality as the art of living.
He left the mortal world in August 1993.
His Holiness Swami Tejomayananda
His Holiness Swami Tejomayananda is the present spiritual head of
Chinmaya Mission. He has served as an acharya (dean) of the Sandeepany
institutes of Vedanta (gurukulas of Chinmaya Mission) in India and also
as an acharya in Chinmaya Mission centers in India as well as the US.
Chinmaya Mission and Education
Chinmaya Mission has set up close to 75 schools in India, known as
Chinmaya Vidyalayas. Theses schools aim at making the students educated
as well as socially aware individuals. Apart from that, the following
institutions are run by the Mission
- Chinmaya International Residential School (Coimbatore)
- Chinmaya Institute of Technology (India)
- Harihar Schools (for poor children in India)
- Sandeepany Sadhanalayas (specifically for the study of the