Read about time-outs as punishments, time out as
corrective action for kids and tips for punishing child.
Time-Outs As Punishments
Does your kid show inappropriate behavior? If yes,
then you would realize that it is so difficult to make kids behave
properly, especially when they are between 18-24 months of age. Most
parents spank their child or face power-struggles with the kid. However,
as parents, you should realize it is not punishment that the kid
requires. Instead, opt for time-out. An effective discipline technique,
time-outs give the child a clue of what he is expected to do and teaches
him/her a difference between what is right and what is wrong, in a
You can prepare a time-out chair in your home. Each time your kid
misbehaves such as he/she throws tantrums, acts violently, or runs out
on roads alone, you should make him understand that such a behavior is
not permitted. If the kid persistently displays such behavior, make
him/her sit on the time-out chair. Make sure that the time-out place you
have chosen is isolated and leaves the child with little or no scope of
interaction. The time allotted is a minute per year of age. With the
tips given below, make time out an effective way to correct the child,
without traumatizing him/her.
Tips To Make Time-Out Effective
- The first step towards making time-out effective would be to be
calm and composed. Do not get angry or you may have to face
- At the moment of time-out, make sure you are near to the child.
The most ideal situation would be when you are within the hearing
range of the child and where the child can see you. However, do not
talk to him and keep ignoring him, until the time-out period gets
- You may set the timer to let the child, know when the time-out is
- Children can be made to sit on a chair in a corner with no
interesting views or in the playpen during the time-out.
- Children should clearly understand that, if they repeat any of
the forbidden behaviors, then they have to go to time-out in a
place. The place may not be frightening for them, but is definitely
uninteresting and boring.
- If the child leaves the time-out period without your permission,
you may consider resetting the timer.
- The ideal time set is a minute for each year of age your kid is
- Tell your kid the rules of time-out - playing with toys computers
or videogames, watching TV, using phone, reading storybooks and
talking to others are not allowed during the 'time-out'. Make sure
everyone in the family ignores the child, during the set time.
- Most of the times kids agree to do, what parents has earlier
asked them after the timeout session. However, there may be times,
when your kid acts stubbornly. It is, thence, that you set the timer
again and make him sit in the place again.
- In case you are outdoors, first give a warning sign to your
child. However, if your admonition has no result, the best bet would
be to use the car as a time-out place for the unacceptable behavior.
Comment On This Article