Are you forming second thoughts on buying expensive organic food? Here is some information about the health benefits of organic food. Check out organic food advantages.
Health Benefits Of Organic Food
Organic food is ‘certified’ food, which is produced in accordance with quality production standards. It is grown on organic farms and vigorously monitored by the officials of a certification body, during the production. Unlike natural food, organic food stuffs are generally grown without the use of pesticides and chemical fertilizers. They are often labeled to differentiate them from the natural ones, because both are similar in terms of color, size and shape. Organic food not only involves fruits, vegetables and grains, but also the products derived from livestock. Initially, organic foods were grown in small family-run farms. This restricted their availability to a great extent. The organic foods were available only in small stores and farmers' markets. With the increasing demand and the advancement in the field of agriculture, organic foods are now available in many countries around the world. Pricey though, more and more people are switching to organic food. The superior taste of organic food, perhaps, motivates people to consume them. Apart from the fact that it tastes better than the natural food, organic food has certain benefits on the overall health of the people as well. Check out the article to know all about the health benefits of organic food.
Organic Food Advantages
- Studies suggest that organic food contains 10-50% higher amount of phyto- nutrients as compared to the conventional food. Antioxidants are present in abundance in organic food produce than in their conventional counterpart. They are very essential as they help in the prevention of cancer.
- Reduced risk of health problems is often associated with the consumption of organic food.
- Officials from the certification bodies visit the farm or plant, where the organic food stuffs are processed, to check whether the food is produced in accordance with the production standards set by them or not. This makes the organic food even more ‘quality-based’ over its natural foods counterpart.
- Since organic foods generally carry labels, you will be able to differentiate them from others and choose accordingly. Be careful before choosing organic food. You do not want to end up buying a Genetically Modified (GM) food, because its implication on human health is still being studied.
- Organic food stays longer, without decaying, than natural food. And to add on, they are safe for babies and children, as well.
- Since organic foods are treated with manure, they are considered better than natural food, which are treated with pesticides, herbicides and chemical fertilizers, when they are grown in farms. Studies have shown that pesticide exposure results in neurological problems, often resulting in autism and ADHD.
- Organic food contains phenolic compounds, which protects our heart from cardiovascular diseases and reduces the risk of cancer. Organic foods are regarded healthy because of their higher nutritional value and presence of essential fatty acids.
- The farm animals in an organic farming are reared without the use of growth hormones. Farmers ensure that the animals are given a healthy and balanced diet. This makes such animal products tastier and healthier to eat, as compared to those produced in the conventional way.
- Antibiotics are widely used in dairy farms for increased resistance of animals, thereby leaving antibiotic residues in the dairy milk and milk products. Animals that are organically raised will not contain antibiotic residues in their products. The latter is safer because continual exposure to antibiotics can disrupt your helpful gut flora, leaving you vulnerable to many diseases.
- Some of the other benefits that are gained by eating organic food is the increased immune system and better weight management. Recent studies have found that they are rich in vitamins and minerals, especially iron and zinc.
- They are also known to be environmental-friendly and thus help in saving wildlife, by reducing water pollution and conserving the environment.
Disadvantages Of Organic Foods
- Though organic foods are twice as expensive as their conventional counterparts, studies have not yet confirmed their nutritional benefits.
- Researches claim them to be free from pesticide exposure and nothing more. A recent research showed that some of the benefits and harms of organic foods that are listed in popular portals are not based on comprehensive tests.
- Also when shopping for fruits and vegetables, make sure to buy them when they are in season, in order to get the freshest produce available.
Listed above were the advantages and other facts to be noted when shopping organic produce. The major take away would be to never confuse organic produce with nutritious food, but yes, you can definitely rely on it being pesticide-free.
Comment On This Article