Are calcium dietary supplements healthy? Scroll below to find out more about whether you should take calcium supplements and their benefits.
Calcium Supplement Benefits
Ever wondered if calcium dietary supplements actually benefit your body as much as the natural sources do? And again, what is the deal with calcium and its absorption? Calcium, which is an amply found mineral in foods like milk, yogurt, cheese etc. and even in medicines like antacids, is crucial for our muscles as well as nerves. If your daily meals do not fulfill your needs for calcium, start looking for calcium dietary supplements or multivitamin mineral supplements. These are great sources of calcium, Vitamin D, magnesium and phosphorus and will help a great deal in the absorption of this particular mineral by the body. The market is swamped with distinctive kinds of calcium supplements, (like calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate and calcium citrate etc.) differing in terms of calcium concentration and in their absorption levels. So, make sure you have a clear picture of the ‘pros’ and ‘cons’ of calcium dietary supplement and look out for the right kind of supplements that will suit your body. Read further to explore more about calcium dietary supplement benefits and then decide as to whether you would like to try these supplements or not. Scroll further.
Should We Take Calcium Supplements
Calcium intake is of prime importance, owing to the fact that calcium offers multiple health benefits, for example; it works towards regulating your heartbeat and fortifies bones and teeth, which are only a few of the benefits. Listed below are the other benefits of consuming calcium supplements.
- It aids in building and maintaining healthy bones.
- It helps a great deal in stimulating hormone secretions.
- It is necessary to consume calcium supplements, because the body does not make them on its own. It is vital to consume calcium-rich foods or a calcium supplement every day, because each day, the body keeps losing calcium, thus, there arises a need to have a regular calcium intake, so as to make up for the loss.
- Consuming recommended doses of calcium supplements on a regular basis can help you reduce the risk of suffering hypertension or high blood pressure.
- In order to prevent osteoporosis from getting you, take a good amount of calcium-rich foods or a supplement, along with Vitamin D supplements, which will help the body a great deal in the absorption of calcium.
- According to recent studies, it has been found that calcium can be touted as a cancer preventative particularly colon, ovary and prostate cancer. Thus, ingesting a calcium supplement on a daily basis could save your life.
- Calcium supplements, in moderation, can help ward off the risk of heart diseases.
- In the absence of adequate calcium in the body, the body utilizes the available calcium, to carry out other bodily functions, thus making the bones weak. When food is not able to suffice the purpose, it is then that calcium supplement comes to play a major role in filling the gap
Calcium Dietary Supplements
Do’s And Don’ts
- If you are taking antibiotics, diuretic or antacid pills, it would be a good idea to consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking the supplement.
- Calcium dietary supplements are known to interact with these drugs and other vitamins in a negative way. The absorption of certain drugs may be compromised when you consume calcium dietary supplements at the same time.
- Always check the labels for purity of the supplement, because calcium supplements made of bone meals and oyster shells are also sold in the market.
- Get the best results by regularly having your supplements along with calcium-rich foods like milk and green leafy vegetables, which will aid in the absorption of the mineral.
- Always make sure you consume the recommended amount of calcium for your age as consumption of more can lead to heart diseases. Taking too much of calcium can also lead to absorption problems for your body.
- Check for side effects like gas, acidity problems and constipation as not everyone is tolerant to supplements. Acidity problems can be lessened by substituting calcium carbonate with calcium citrate.
- The absorbability of the supplement by the body can be tested by placing it in water for half an hour. If it does not dissolve with in this time period, then it will probably not dissolve in your stomach. Pills that are easily digested by the body are mostly liquid or chewable calcium supplements.
Before you venture out to buy calcium dietary supplements, make sure you check its tolerance on your body. Read the labels to know if it has been coated with safe products and consult your health care provider to know more about taking these supplements along with the other medications you have been prescribed. In order to avail the best of calcium supplements, moderation is the key.