Given here is information on life history of
Chanakya. Read this biography of Chanakya, also known as Kautilya.
of the greatest figures of wisdom and knowledge in the Indian history is
Chanakya. He is estimated to have lived from 350 - 283 B.C. Chanakya is
touted as the "Pioneer Economist of India". Chanakya was the
adviser and Prime Minister of Emperor Chandragupta. Chanakya was a
professor at the University of Takshila (located in present day
Pakistan) and was an expert in commerce, warfare, economics, etc. His
famous works include Chanakya Neeti, Arthashastra and Neetishastra. Read
this biography of Kautilya that covers his interesting life history.
Chanakya is also known by the name of Kautilya and Vishnugupta as is
mentioned in his text. His famous work called Arthashastra is a classic
example of statecraft and politics and is read in Europe even today. It
basically consists of the principles of politics and how the state
works. An able ruler has to be a ruthless leader to make sure that the
state works smoothly and efficiently. The legends associated with
Chanakya are very interesting and provide a testimony of his greatness.
- When Chanakya was born he had a full set of teeth, which is a
sign that he would become a king or an emperor. But since he was
born in a Brahmin family, it was considered inappropriate. Thus, his
teeth were broken and it was predicted that he would make another
person a king and rule through him.
- Even as a child, Chanakya had the qualities of a born leader. His
level of knowledge was beyond children of his age.
- Chanakya was thrown out of the court of King Nanda as he was a
blunt man and spoke his mind clearly. Chanakya swore he would take
- Chanakya comes across Chandragupta as a young child. Even at that
age, he was a born leader and showed the qualities of an able
Emperor. He was the guiding force behind Chandragupta and the vital
person who made him an able Emperor.
- Chanakya adds poison in little amounts daily in Chandragupta's
food in order to make him immune to poison, lest some enemy tries to
- However Chandragupta was unaware about this and once gave a
little food to his wife who was in the ninth month of pregnancy. She
didn't survive but Chanakya cut open her belly and took out the
- This baby grew up to become an able emperor named Bindusara. He
had a minister named Subandhu who did not like Chanakya. He told
Bindusara that Chanakya had killed his mother.
- Without assessing facts, Bindusara confronted Chanakya. On
knowing the whole story, he felt ashamed at his hasty actions and
begged for forgiveness. He asked Subandhu to go and apologize and
make Chanakya come back.
- Subandhu was very cunning and on the pretext of going to
apologize to Chanakya, he killed him. Thus, ended the life of a
great person like Chanakya just because of political rivalry.