Here are some useful car engine
maintenance and troubleshooting tips.
When it comes to a car, the most important component is the engine. The engine can well be regarded as the soul of a car. In fact, you might have the most well-maintained and sparkling set of wheels in your neighborhood, but if its engine is not working, it is as good as waste. In order to make sure that your car has a long life, you need to undertake regular maintenance of the engine, say changing the oil, checking the belt, putting in adequate coolant, and so on. We have provided a number of maintenance tips in the following lines, to help you take care of your car engine,
Car Engine Maintenance Tips
- Engine oil is one of the most important things that determines the performance and life of the car engine. The oil level of your car engine must be checked at regular intervals, say once in every two weeks, and even before going on a long trip. This can be done by opening the bonnet and pulling out the dipstick, which is calibrated and indicates the oil level.
- In all the cars, there is an indicator for engine oil level. When the oil level is low and lubrication is not happening properly, the indicator glows as a warning. If this light comes on, immediately check the oil level and if it is low, fill it. Do not drive the vehicle if there is no engine oil. Improper oil pressure engine means that lubrication is not taking place as it should, which could result in serious breakdown of the engine.
- Always make sure that you care engine has the requisite amount of coolant. At the same time, inspect the radiator on a regular basis, for leaks as well as any type of corrosion.
- If you feel that your engine is not heating up properly, and is too cool, it means that the thermostat is not working properly. So, either get it repaired or replaced, at the earliest.
- In the usual cases, engine belts last for somewhere around 4 years. However, if you find any cracks or frays in the timing belt, get it replaced almost immediately.
- In case your car has platinum spark plugs, it is advisable to get them changed after every 65,000 miles. If they are made of some other metal, then the change will be required every 35,000 miles.
- The air filter of a car engine requires a replacement every 15,000 miles. You can also get it changed, if you feel that it has become too dirty. In case of oil filter, the replacement needs to be made after every 3,000 miles.
Comment On This Article